WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

5-Year-Old Dies After Being Mauled by Pit Bull

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Not a Pitbull hater at all, I have known a couple that were as playful as a little kitten. But with little kids around and hearing (way to often) about these attacks, why would you want one?

Just plain old sad,
Prayers to both families

http://www.ktla.com/landing_news/?5...Being-Mauled-by-Pi=1&blockID=74154&feedID=171

SIMI VALLEY -- A 5-year-old girl has died after being mauled by a pit bull in a family friend's back yard in Simi Valley, authorities said.

Katya Todesco, of Simi Valley, was attacked by the dog while she and her mother, Katia Todesco, were visiting a friend last Tuesday night in the 1000 block of Appleton Road, said Lt. Paul Fitzpatrick of the Simi Valley Police Department.

The little girl and the friend's 13-year-old daughter were playing in the back yard when the 5-year-old bumped into the dog and was then mauled, officials said.

The victim's mother heard screams and went outside to find the 35-pound dog latched onto her daughter. "It was a horrible attack," Todesco said Monday. "With my own hands I was pulling the dog's jaw."

Katya, who was bitten on her face and neck, lost a massive amount of blood, but was revived by doctors at Simi Valley Hospital, her mother said. She died just before 4 p.m. Friday at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, according to Los Angeles County coroner's investigator Ed Winter.

Katya's mother said the family donated her organs, and several were already scheduled for transplant this week.

Katya was a first-grader at Crestview School in Simi Valley. "She was an extraordinary girl fun, loving and just a beautiful girl," her mother said. "We are devastated."

The girl's mother said she doesn't blame anyone for the attack. "It was a terrible accident that should never have happened," Todesco said.

Simi Valley Police said they were not pursuing criminal charges in the attack.

The male pit bull was being held in quarantine and was almost certain to be euthanized, Ventura County Animal Regulation Director Kathy Jenks said.

Todesco said the dog belongs to someone other than her friend, who was taking care of it.

As of Monday, animal regulation investigators hadn't spoken to the dog's owner or to Todesco, Jenks said.

Ratso

Reaction score
Why people let their kids around dogs like that is beyond me...

mrs. bordsmnj

StokerWhore's Ol' Lady
Reaction score
Why people let their kids around dogs like that is beyond me...

It can be any dog. I have 2-18 pound rat terriers that are total assholes to strangers and other dogs. I keep them away from kids because I am not sure how they will react.

Any size or breed dog can attack.

Ratso

Reaction score
Over the years, I have owned 5 Chows... the most well mannered, well behaved dogs... very playful... yet I would never leave any small children unattended around them...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Over the years, I have owned 5 Chows... the most well mannered, well behaved dogs... very playful... yet I would never leave any small children unattended around them...

LMAO!! :D

RD

SloWhacker

Banned
Reaction score
Id ask what the mother was thinkin.....but she obviously doesnt have that ability.Poor little girl never had a chance wit a mom like that.:(

Pixilated

Everyones favorite Bitch!
Reaction score
Not a Pitbull hater at all, I have known a couple that were as playful as a little kitten. But with little kids around and hearing (way to often) about these attacks, why would you want one?

Just plain old sad,
Prayers to both families

http://www.ktla.com/landing_news/?5...Being-Mauled-by-Pi=1&blockID=74154&feedID=171

SIMI VALLEY -- A 5-year-old girl has died after being mauled by a pit bull in a family friend's back yard in Simi Valley, authorities said.

Katya Todesco, of Simi Valley, was attacked by the dog while she and her mother, Katia Todesco, were visiting a friend last Tuesday night in the 1000 block of Appleton Road, said Lt. Paul Fitzpatrick of the Simi Valley Police Department.

The little girl and the friend's 13-year-old daughter were playing in the back yard when the 5-year-old bumped into the dog and was then mauled, officials said.

The victim's mother heard screams and went outside to find the 35-pound dog latched onto her daughter. "It was a horrible attack," Todesco said Monday. "With my own hands I was pulling the dog's jaw."

Katya, who was bitten on her face and neck, lost a massive amount of blood, but was revived by doctors at Simi Valley Hospital, her mother said. She died just before 4 p.m. Friday at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, according to Los Angeles County coroner's investigator Ed Winter.

Katya's mother said the family donated her organs, and several were already scheduled for transplant this week.

Katya was a first-grader at Crestview School in Simi Valley. "She was an extraordinary girl fun, loving and just a beautiful girl," her mother said. "We are devastated."

The girl's mother said she doesn't blame anyone for the attack. "It was a terrible accident that should never have happened," Todesco said.

Simi Valley Police said they were not pursuing criminal charges in the attack.

The male pit bull was being held in quarantine and was almost certain to be euthanized, Ventura County Animal Regulation Director Kathy Jenks said.

Todesco said the dog belongs to someone other than her friend, who was taking care of it.

As of Monday, animal regulation investigators hadn't spoken to the dog's owner or to Todesco, Jenks said.

OMG!! This is so sad.

Lue

Banned
Reaction score
Id ask what the mother was thinkin.....but she obviously doesnt have that ability.Poor little girl never had a chance wit a mom like that.:(

HUH?!?!?

It was obviously an accident. The dog's owner (13 years old btw) was with her at the time of the attack. Pretty sure the parent wasn't being neglectful. Having or playing with a dog should be a part of everyone's childhood. Unfortunately things like this do happen.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Ya relax all, Lou hit it on the nose. I would have no problem letting a 5 year old play with my Cavlier King Chas. Spaniel, matter of fact happens all the time. RD I'd like to see proven facts that discount Pits from being involved in less types of these cases than other breeds. I'm not making any acusations re-Pits but it just seems that they are the most talked about when this type of tragedy happens. I wouldn't blame the mother or make acusations that can't be backed up, unless you know her.

RIP lil one!!

SuperDave013

Reaction score
It can be any dog. I have 2-18 pound rat terriers that are total assholes to strangers and other dogs. I keep them away from kids because I am not sure how they will react.

Any size or breed dog can attack.

the difference is your dogs will just bite the crap out of someone but not kill them.

I'm not a pit hater either but don't think I would want the responsibilty of owning one. But on the other hand I have a german shepard that requires more then the avg. dog.

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
I'd have zero issues with making that dog a "gun and shovel dog"...................go for a walk with the dog and a gun and a shovel.................come back with a gun and shovel.

FOCKER

Reaction score
there were 3 pitbull attacks in that area on the same day. a lady that works for us had a pitbull jump thru her front screen door and rip her little lapdog apart in the livingroom. while the police were there they got the call about the little girl and had to leave.then a third attack occured shortly thereafter. all different pitbulls

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
It was a Bull Mastiff and she was 7 years old according to our neighbors.
It got her jugular according to the neighbors.

I think the "Bull" immediately puts it off on Pits.
I've watched stories develop on the river, read how they are reported, then seen the final analysis by BC and it's entirely different.

Last edited: